Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Pink Cowboy Boots and Pond Scum

Ever have those series of days or weeks where you feel like life is making you play catch up? 
Catch up may not be the word.  Maybe I mean it's making you work extra hard at 'stuff?'

It can be catch up in a good and hectic way;   Like on a professional level, at my day job, we are expanding the medical practice that I help run with my husband EG and so we've been meeting with architects to figure out how the space will look and what we'll need to accommodate our growth.  

Or it can sometimes feel like a desperate sort of trudge through molasses to make positive changes; Like on a personal level, I am feeling like my family is needing some extra love and attention.  My little peanuts are precious and at such a wonderful and cute age and they are like little sponges in what they learn and absorb.    My littlest peanut is very feisty and has been expressing herself in "nice colorful ways" and so we're giving her some extra hugs and focus and trying to figure out the challenging mind of a four year old little being.  So for now, I wanted to share a fun memory I have of a family photo shoot we had in NYC last fall. 



So, here we are in all of our disheveled loveliness.  I so desperately wanted this family photo shoot because we never have the four of us together.  I also wanted Wendy and Tyler from Blue Lily Photography for the shoot because they have always produced such wonderful photos of NieNie and her family (see here).  We high tailed it down to NYC from Connecticut to meet Wendy and Tyler in Central Park for the shoot.   A perfect location...this is where EG and I got engaged so no better place to film our whole family years later!  (ha...Luckily photos can hide the behind the scenes)



Before Wendy and Tyler even arrived, the kids were squirrely.  They were running around the perimeter of the pond and sometimes getting daringly close to the edge.  But the edge consists of "stairs" that actually step down into the water so I rationalized it's not like they would actually fall off the ledge into the water because there was no ledge!  I stepped away to message Wendy and provide some identifying elements so she could spot our family when she arrived.  EG was on kid patrol (Hey, no blame here).  In the midst of my texting, I noticed a commotion at the base of the pond.  Non-English speaking tourists were flailing their arms around in a frantic flight.  Well shit...I'd better get over there.  There's got to be some celebrity at the scene to cause such a stir.  As I got closer, I noticed.  No celebrity.  Ah...my family.  My husband.  My son.  At the base of the pond.  But my daughter was no where to be found.  Until I inched closer and realized that the "fish" the tourist was fetching out from the water was in fact my daughter.  Yep, submerged from the neck down in the smelly wretched cold pond water of NYC.  That's my girl.  (Fine by the way, just soaking wet!)





All this went down BEFORE the photo shoot.  Now most sane families might have called the shoot off.  Actually, that's what my husband wanted to do.  But no.  I'm no 'Toddlers and Tiara' stage mom, but you forget, this was our once in a lifetime family photo session and the show must go on!  So I sent EG to the car for a back up outfit for our daughter and Wendy started to shoot away!  You'd never even guess that Vivi is soaking wet from the head to her toes in the above photo, would you?  (The gray coat was dry).   We had a one hour photo shoot and the first 40 minutes were of the kids only while EG trekked to the car for new clothes!  We did manage to muster 20 minutes of family portraits and we actually LOOK happy in some of them. 



Like the hairdo?  Vivi's hair had previously been chin length on both sides until she and her brother decided to play barber shop and she chopped off one whole side (Not on the same day as the photo shoot or that would have sent me to therapy for sure).  We decided to make lemons from lemonade and turned it into a "style."  Shorter on one side and longer on another.  (She got so many compliments during those months when it was growing back out). 


(Notice new skirt | outfit change for Vivi in this picture?)  I must mention that when EG returned from the car with new clothes for Vivi, he didn't just bring a new change of clothes back to the park...he lugged Vivi's ENTIRE SUITCASE full of clothes back with him.  So yes, I was not only dealing with a dramatic four year old that jumped into the pond scum that day, I was also dealing with an over zealous husband that dramatically brought an entire suitcase through Central Park so that I would have my pickins of back up clothes.  To his credit, he knows me well and I'm sure I would have had something to say about his selection so he brought all TWENTY outfits to me for me to select myself!  haha, never a dull moment. 








Looking back at these photos it reminds me that there will always be challenging times and it's just how we choose to make lemonade from the lemons.  Or smile even when your pink cowboy boots may be soaking wet with pond scum water.  Or pretend to laugh even when you may be gritting through your teeth ("why did i agree to do this?  never again!"--from eg).  Because when you look back in time and remember your life, it's easy to overlook the times when you may have been struggling, and nice to remember the times you chose and put one foot in front of the other.  Sometimes when you're mud deep in the midst of a struggle it's difficult to remember that things tend to work themselves out in time.  It's nice to have a happy reminder of that from time to time. 

2016 Update: I initially wrote this post in 2013 when our understanding of what our daughter may be facing was unknown and foreign.  Since then, we have gained a bit more insight into what may drive her behavior and moods at times.  To read more, go here:  You Need This Place

xoxoxo
Heather from Vivid Hue Home


17 comments:

Liz said...

I had no idea you were a NieNie follower, too. I have always loved the Blue Lily photos of the Nielson family and yours are just as lovely. Even better with the back story. :)

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

What a lovely Post! I love the fact you didn't give up!
The memories will last forever. If the day had been "picture perfect", it would have been a day for the future Grandkids to hear about!

I keep repeating to all the young mothers out there, and you are one, my Dad's favorite saying:

THE JOYS OF RAISING A FAMILY

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

A word was left out of my previous comment. My thought was, If the day had been "picture perfect" it would NOT have been one to pass down through the years!

Kimberly said...

I love this story AND the photos. This will make this an unforgettable photo shoot. It can be one of those "Do you remember that time we had our family portraits made...and 'someone' went swimming." memories.

Kim said...

Oh Heather ... this photo shoot is PERFECT! What a precious family ... and many stories and memories have been made!! That's the best thing about cowboy boots, don't you know? they can go anywhere!! xo

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

Devilishness from that sweet face?! Never. Ha ha, I feel your pain- I have a "spirited" little one as well. Hang in there, we really will laugh about it all later!

Unknown said...

Loved hearing about this day when it happening and revisiting it again here. Big hugs to J & V. xoxo- Kurby

Unknown said...

meant to say ... when it was happening :)

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

AMen sister! I needed to read this today, thanks for sharing. And your little ones are sweet for sure. :)

The Pink Pagoda said...

Awwww! These photos are fabulous! What a beautiful family!

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

What a beautiful post and family! This is all so true, but we need to hear this to remind ourselves. So often, we focus on what's stressing us out and forget to just live and enjoy. I think I need to come back and read this again, today! :) Have a great weekend!

Julie Taylor and Danni Greenwalt said...

What cute photos....your daughter reminds me of mine when she was young....The whole family is adorable.......

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

oh my goodness - these are the BEST pics!!! adorable. and i love your hair cut!

Unknown said...

What a great story! Im sorry that it is so funny NOW, but I know it was unnerving at the time. One thing kids teach you is to let stuff go, and roll with the punches. You both seemed to handle it so well and Im so glad the shoot went on to reveal these darling pictures! Your family is beautiful Heather, and this was a memory you'll never forget that will get funnier each time you tell it.
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Anonymous said...

You are adorable -- I love your sass and foul mouth, for sure.

My sons had the same green soccer t-shirt and I'd purchased some of the Missoni-for-Target clothes as well, so your kids look familiar to me ....

My youngest son has absolute global aphasia and one day a well-meaning busybody overheard me saying the "f" word when struggling with his wheelchair. They admonished me, asking "how would you feel if suddenly" my Little Angel "started speaking and came out with the 'f' word?!" I gave them a level look and replied "effing ecstatic!" This is my 9 year-old's favorite "f" word story, which means, yes, there is more than one such story.

About everything in life I am a more-is-more gal -- more color, more pattern, more hugs, more kisses, more chocolate, more "f" bombs. Life is a garden ... a garden in hell, baby! (xo Diana Vreeland)

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story with such craziness amongst your day..yet you never falter or dismay...Your words of encouragement and wisdom filled my heart...xoxox

Unknown said...

What a wonderful story with such craziness amongst your day..yet you never falter or dismay...Your words of encouragement and wisdom filled my heart...xoxox