Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Kitchen Decked Out in Chevron


Our kitchen went bold this week.  Now, there's no stylin going on with this table, ya'll, but this post is not about the table.  It's about the rug.  In fact, I didn't even wipe off the morning juices from breakfast (my lil mama would be be mortified).   We've been living with this Restoration sisal for a few years.  It's had oatmeal jammed into its crevices and yogurt mushed into its rows.  And well, when I received my Ballard Designs catalog last week, I made a quick change.   


It's time to go chevron...yes, I know it's overdone.  It's cliche'.  It's expected and all of those other things.  But I don't care.  It's a pattern and it adds character to the kitchen.  It blends with the tones in my living room which is just two feet away.  And it's indoor/outdoor so it will withstand the dumping that the kids will give it. 



I decided to introduce this on the blog before EG arrives home.  We were on the phone last week when I 'asked his permission' to buy the rug   casually snuck into conversation that I was purchasing the rug at a really good price.  I said 'Ok?' at the end, to which I *think* he replied, 'ok.'  (That counts as a blessing, right?)  Later I informed him that our new rug was to arrive any day now..."remember?? that rug you said we could get last week???!"

Some may say I'm sneaky, but EG knows me well enough by now to know I have great taste (haha) and he knows I would never steer him wrong.  I know he's gonna love the new rug

What do you think?  Do you like the Chevron or are you diggin the solid color?

View other parts of the house here.


Sources: Ballard Designer: Chevron Stripe Rug Grey with Sand 7'10" x 10'10" $229 with 15% coupon ($195).  Chairs- Restoration Madeleine Side Chair in Weathered Oak $99 each; Table- Crate and Barrel 99' Dakota Dining Table $1699

13 comments:

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

i think it looks great! just the right amount of punch! and hey, just like your other one, use it a few years and change it out. OK NOW, a few questions. What did you do with the RH rug? Did you think it held up well? Im on my 3rd jute rug and its coming apart (only a month old!) and im mad. I was thinking next time i need to get one that is bound on the edges like this one you had. tell me your reviews, pretty please :)

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

I with you on chevron- I don't care how "overplayed" it is I love it!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Looks perfect!
I completely understand how you make things "happen" with EG!
I do the same with MC!
I think they completely get what we're doing, but play the game to make us feel like we have the "control"....Ha

Andrea said...

Oh, I love it Heather!!! And to all of those Chevron haters out there, Chevron is a classic, not a trend. It became popular in the 1920s Art Deco movement, and regained popularity in the 70s with designers such as Albert Hadley and Missoni... check it out http://www.theglampad.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-timeless-design-of-albert-hadley.html

I love Chevron and am using black and white West Elm runners for our staircase. I'm super excited!

Again, love your rug!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Kat said...

I love the new rug. I also think chevron is timeless. I have a black and white chevron rug in my living room. It really adds some oomph to the space.

Unknown said...

I LOVE it Heather! great job! I won an Artreka t-shirt from your blog a while back and just got it! thanks, I love it!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Karena said...

Heather the chevron for sure! It looks great. I just got one for my study/office and love, love it. I think the style is here to stay!

2013 Designers Series
xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena

Kim said...

Give me a good chevron any day ... and to wake up to this every morning? Good Stuff missy!! xo

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

The way it works with your curtains is just dreamy. It was a purchase must. The hubs should reward you for being so smart! :)

The Pink Pagoda said...

I liked your previous rug, but love this change! It's perfect for your space. Change is always fun!

michelle@decorandthedog said...

Chevron for life! It's like stripes. Can you wrong?

Kelly said...

haha! Your strategy for getting a blessing sounds just like mine. "Okay? Okay! Great!" - with no pause in the middle. :) It's beautiful! Great idea to get an indoor-outdoor rug!

Kelly @ View Along the Way
www.viewalongtheway.com

Lisa Mende said...

Love the chevron!!! Go girl!