Tuesday, February 9, 2016

DIY Crafty Lighting: VHH on Better CT


You may recall that I worked with Melissa Cole from the Better Connecticut TV show in the fall to produce a few holiday related segments:

Thanksgiving Decor Tips  | November 13, 2015

Holiday Centerpiece DIY  | December 14, 2015


I was thrilled when Melissa contacted me recently to film additional segments for the show.  They already had many Valentine's related gift ideas (you can see my Vivid Hue Home ideas here) and wanted something with a DIY flair.   Since many of the schools in our area have February vacation (next week), I thought it may be helpful to provide a craft that is easy and fun for parents and kids.

Today, the segment "Crafty Lighting" aired.

I demonstrated how to create a yarn lamp shade with some easy supplies.

1. Yarn
2. Shade
3. Lamp Base or Pendant Swag

Here are some behind the scenes photos from the shoot:

Melissa Cole, a reporter from Better Connecticut filming the segment with me.


The first shade I made is on the left the Neapolitan multi-colored one.  You can see that there is a Moroccan tile pattern underneath, but I almost think this adds to the charm.

I love the gray and neon yellow shade.  The yarn was already multi-colored so the pattern automatically developed that way by simply wrapping the yarn around.


I used two different weights of teal fabric to create this look.  It's simple but there's a subtle pattern that adds some texture and dimension.  This is mindless and relaxing to create but I did count the rows per each yarn type to create some symmetry.  


This would look adorable in a little boy's room on the nightstand.


Our pre-spring decor in the shop incorporates fun pops of neon.  I fell in love with these candle sticks at a vendor show.  They're almost so over the top in their color that they are magnificent!  


These love letters were created by just wrapping yarn around and around.  It can get a bit tricky around the edges but just keep layering the yarn and it all works out.  


Thank you to Melissa and the Channel 3 Better Connecticut team that continue to ask me back!  Next week, stay tuned as I give advice on how to zhush up your living room to fight the dol drums of the winter blahs!


Keep in mind, we have some terrific gift ideas for all occasions, particularly Valentine's Day. 

Cheers 
Heather 

Vivid Hue Home + Gifts
775 Farmington Ave | Farmington CT  06032
860-677-0301 | vividhuehome.com
Hours: Mon Closed, Tues + Wed 10-5pm, Thurs 10-6pm, Fri 10-5pm Sat + Sun 10-4pm


No comments: