Sunday, December 30, 2012

DIY: a scarf turned into art

One of my favorite presents this Christmas started from a simple scarf: The Cityblock Storyteller Scarf from Madewell.  As I've mentioned before, I covet anything with a reference to NYC because it reminds me of my single, childless days of living there (not that I would trade my child-filled days with EG in Connecticut!).  But when I spotted this Madewell scarf of the city on sale for $35.00 I grabbed one for myself and for Kurby for presents.  Then my wheels started turning...   
 
 
This scarf is adorbs with a pair of skinny jeans, flats and a denim shirt.  But I wanted to display the entire city scape somehow.   I decided to frame mine so it would be permanent art on my walls. 
 
The framer stretched the scarf until it would stretch no farther.  I selected a thick black frame with a slight hue of antique gold/brown on the edge.  I wanted something that would offer a modern yet vintage flair.   
 
 
 
 It turned out pretty large!  It's almost 5 feet wide and I love how it makes a statement in my hallway right outside my bedroom
 

 
 
The details are better looking in person... I didn't get glare resistant glass because I don't personally like the way it looks (but obviously I would have looked better in these photos, ha)




 


 

 I am always looking for unique art that can't be found in every store.  I like the idea of framing something that's a personal favorite because it creates artwork that is unique.  This scarf was on sale for $35.  The framing was obviously more costly (several hundreds) but the end result was a large piece of artwork that covers a large wall and makes a statement.  And it has meaning to my family. 
 
Have you ever framed something like a scarf or article of clothing to turn it into "art?"
 
Happy New Year's Eve (almost....)!
 
xoxo Heather



9 comments:

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

What a great idea. I love it! I know you will enjoy it for years to come! (I know I would!) BTW-
Worth every penny for the frame!

Kimberly said...

I love that you framed this. It looks great. I get what you mean about the fact that the framing cost more than the scarf...but it's totally worth it. I framed a watercolor piece that my daughter did in grade school. I spent top dollar for the matting and the frame. My husband and daughter both tried to talk me out of spending the money and wanted me to do a cheap substitute. But, I love that piece and I don't regret that I did it "right". :)

Jessie said...

The scarf looks great, love the framing too!

Happy New Year, Heather! May the new year brings you happiness and success in everything you do!

Jessie

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

love it!! It came out beautiful! I actually have 2 scarves waiting for me to frame. a vintage Christian Dior that my mom gave me....(i need to take it to the cleaner's to see if some yellow spots come out) and a small Gucci scarf I used to wear like crazy in my early 20s.....its so beautiful I just want to look at it....when its on you can't really appreciate all the design. Happy 2013!! loved your holiday table setting

Lisa Mende said...

I love this Heather and the fact it has meaning hence "authentically" yours! I need to feature this on my new series!! Good job!!!! Happy New Year!!!

The Pink Pagoda said...

Wow. It looks amazing! I have a vintage tea towell and my daughter's Christening gown that I'm intending to frame.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

color, polka dots and maps - i love it all!!

Eclectically Vintage said...

Great idea Heather! I was searching for your email address but couldn't find it. would you mind shooting me an email at eclecticallyvintage@gmail.com. Thanks!
Kelly

Julia Ryan said...

looks great! Such a fun scarf. I've been on the lookout for a vera scarf to do this with. Maybe I should switch gears and looks for a meaningful one or city instead!