Thursday, October 9, 2014

ORC Week 2: Bunk Bed Selection

 We're entering week two of the One Room Challenge.  Check back here for Week 1. 

You may recall that the last time I participated in the ORC as a linking participant, I made over our guest bedroom.   Here's the bohemian chic guest bedroom reveal  (another post here) from the past challenge. 
This time, I'm making over my 7 year old son's room and have been on the hunt for a bunk bed that will grow with my son.  I don't want anything that is flimsy or temporary looking.  I noticed that many of the styles I'm drawn to are built in bunk beds.  Built into the walls of their environment.  Hmmm...well shoot, I wasn't planning on THAT endeavor. 

Here are some of my favorite beds located in my search:
Courtesy via Marcus Design
Via RH Gallery

Courtesy via Houzz.com
Rover Homes

 
Coastal Living via Babble

Yep, as I told you.  Most of these are built-in bunk beds that have been custom built into the room.  I wanted something that was grown up.  Not too childish.  A bit industrial. 

So my selection: 


The Restoration Gallery Baby and Child Bunk Bed! 


Via RH Gallery

Here's why:

Each mattress is full size rather than the standard twin size for a bunk bed.  I love the distressed wood and the sturdy look of these beds.  These are shown in the white but I'm ordering them in the darker wood.  This photo is a bit feminine for a little boy's room, but I have some ideas about how to make them more masculine. 

I'm still on the hunt for a way to make the ceiling stand out in a unique way. 

I'm fighting the urge not to paint the room in bright colors like the rest of my house.  My theme is neutral tone for this room!  Fight the color pop urge. 


Next step, figuring out the walls of the room.  That may help shape the rest of the décor.  For a better look at other rooms of my house, check here

Thanks so much to Linda from Calling It Home for allowing us Linking Participants to join in on the One Room Challenge. 


Here are some of the other

 
Here are individual links to each participant. 
 
Additionally, You can see more linking participants by visiting Calling it Home
 
Cheers!
Heather
 

14 comments:

janet said...

I just did bunk beds for grandsons in our beach condo and installed curtains on the ceiling for the upper bunk. You can find the track at IKEA and they work beautifully! http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00079362/

The curtains for the upper bunk just went to the bottom of the mattress and the bottom bunk got a shorter version on cafe rods installed directly onto the inside frame.

Black out lining helps at nap time and helps them sleep a little later on weekends! Good luck with your room!

Unknown said...

love that bed...and the idea of having a full over full bunkbed! Can't wait to see what comes next! xoxo

Tiffany said...

Love love that bed. This is going to be such a fun room!

The Pink Pagoda said...

I didn't know bunk beds were available bigger than twin size -- so cool! This room will be incredible : )

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Great choice on the bunk beds! I love them. They will grow up beautifully!

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

Ok first off, I didn't know RH Baby even had bunk beds, and then they come in full?! Brilliant choice!!

I can't wait to see where you go with the ceiling!

Albertina M. Cisneros said...

i really love that bed and the fact that they are larger is ideal. I love all your inspiration photos. I'm sure you will come up with something amazing for the ceiling.

Unknown said...

That bed! I'm doing the same thing right now (bunk beds, boy's room, ORC) and also struggled with not having them be too flimsy. If only we could have fit that amazing bed into our space... :)

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

What? Full size bunk beds? I may get one for my husband...just kidding...maybe not? I am dying to see this room.

Unknown said...

That is one superbly awesome bed- love, love!

kate@willowinteriors said...

Wow, what a focal point for your son's room!! Can't wait to see what you decide for the ceiling!

Kim said...

Love where you are going with this ... the bunks are fantastic! Can't wait to see what you decide to do on your ceiling! xokim

Unknown said...

Bunk beds are so much fun!!!!!

Jessie | The Design Daredevil

mrs. V | Chez V said...

Full size bunks?! Genius.