Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Home Office Makeover

My friend Lucy recently asked if I'd help her redesign her home office before she starts her new job.  As ya'll know, I'm not a trained designer by profession but I jumped at the opportunity to design a room on someone else's dime!  Miss Lucy started with an Earth tone palette and wanted something a bit cheerier.  I have earned a bit of a reputation for being "color loving" and so when someone wants to add a pop of color to their space, I'm the person for the job!  (Samples of my color lovin in my own home...turquoise sunroom, Kelly green mudroom, ocean blue office, yellow and pink master ). 

This week, we have tackled the painting of the office so I thought I'd share that progress.
Here's where we started.  The room was a dark dusty blue with wood molding.  Definitely needed a primer. 

 

 
And here are the photos after our day 1 of painting.  We painted the room HGTV's Sherwin William's Lauren's Surprise in Flat.   We used a prime white satin finish on the baseboards and molding.  The paint alone immediately transformed the room into a cheerier and happier place. 

Here are the after photos. 



The floral oil painting is a 1970's vintage that Lucy's parents purchased in the Hamptons.  I spotted it hiding in her basement and immediately fell in love with it!  I'm not sure if there will be a place for it in the finished office but I'm sure going to try to factor it in.  I love it! 



We're using my ultimate favorite design crush as our inspiration for this room remodel, the Portuguese designer Ms. Maria Barros.  It's going to be hard to top Maria's designs but she is the inspiration.  Regular followers will also notice Jennifer's artwork from The Pink Pagoda...yes, hoping for a place in the room for her fabulous artwork (more can be found on etsy here).  Here's my mood board for the room. 




I'll be sharing more updates as we progress on the room.  We've got the rug in the room already (from Overstock.com).   The X Writing Desk is on it's way!  The Hot Pink Pom Pom Throw is from One King's Lane and will be a great pop of color for an accessory.   This room also acts as an occasional guest bedroom so there is a twin bed in here.  We're looking for bedding and coordinating chevrons. 

This is so much fun.

And remember the guest bedroom that I started painting in HGTV's Sherwin William's Loyalty Blue?  Yes, I've still got that iron in the fire...The room is 95% complete.  I just have some trim work to finish and then I'll post update photos of that room.  The smurfiness has toned down a bit and I am loving the deep jewel tone. 


Don't forget about the Baby Cafe giveaway, ya'll!   Enter HERE


10 comments:

Karena said...

Heather I am loving this makeover and I bet your friend is thrilled as well!

xoxo
Karena
Giveaway by The Enchanted Home

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

It's going to be happy and bright! Perfect.

Lisa Mende said...

cool!!!!

tjaklitsch said...

I'm loving the palette you've chosen as well --- so much brighter and happier!

Unknown said...

Great job Heather! Loving that paint and lots of color in accessories!!!! fun.
xo Nancy

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Love your plan girlfriend. That painting against the wall color is just aces. And can't wait to see your blue room as well. That is a color I really want to try.

Andrea said...

This is going to look FANTASTIC!! I am a HUGE fan of Maria Barros and The Pink Pagoda! I can't wait to see it all come together!

XOXO,
The Glam Pad

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

I love the paint color you selected! Can't wait to see more.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Now this is a fun office. I would love this in my next home....pinning it! btw, I tried to comment back to you and you are a 'no-reply' blogger. Here is how to fix it
http://www.callingithome.com/2013/01/are-you-no-reply-blogger.html

Unknown said...

Choosing the right palette is indeed very important, depending on what kind of mood you want to set for the place. I agree that the paint alone did a lot to the whole space. What's her new job, by the way? Is it something crafts-related? Oralia@C2CGlobal