Thursday, June 21, 2012

My design crush, Miles Redd

There are a handful of highly skilled and talented interior decorators for which I have developed a case of severe 'design-envy'.  In all honesty, my desire goes beyond envy.  These are designers that I consider the Gods of Interiors.  To the point that I may completely fumble my words were I to ever meet them in person.  Or worse, faint.  I would liken this to a teenage girl's hysteria for Justin Bieber or my childhood crush on Ricky Schroeder.  (Only I used to fantasize about one day marrying Ricky.  Now, I just dream about meeting these fine decorators). 

I'm talking about Jonathan Adler, Jamie Drake, Mary McDonald, Bunny Williams.  And Miles Redd.  Oh yes, Miles

Miles Redd in his apartment (notice zebra covered doors!)


Miles himself is based in NYC. He was raised in Atlanta but found himself venturing to NYC to study painting. He was more interested in set design. As his love for interior design flourished, he found himself taking on projects for friends and decorating their spaces. He turned it into an actual business in 1998. Since, he has also been named creative director for Oscar De La Renta Home. More about Miles here


Miles decorated the NYC apartment of some of our dear friends.  Their apartment exudes worldly charm.  There is wild use of patterns and color in an uber-chic and tasteful manner.   I see this style transcended in Mile's other interiors as well. 


Here's what I envision when I think of Miles Redd:

<><> <><> <><>
Miles Redd in Elle Decor Dec 2009, Photo Miguel Flores-Vianna

1. Lacquered walls (shown above in Yves Klein-blue).  Miles style is high gloss and super chic.  It was the below photo of lacquered walls that inspired me to paint my own study in a high gloss (check house tours in the future for a study tour). 


<><>
Miles Redd, Mendenall

<><> <><>
Miles Redd, Elle Decor, March 2006 Photo Simon Upton



2.  Ruffled Drapery.  Miles is a huge fan of using a dainty and feminine ruffle as an accent to his often unlined curtains.  This is so delicate.  The unlined window treatments offer privacy but also are sheer enough to allow light to enter the room. 
<><> <><> <><>
Miles Redd, House Beautiful 2011 NYC Apartment
<><> <><>
Miles Redd, his sister's apartment




3. Bold Mix of Vibrant Colors.  His selections are often saturated in color.  Buttery teals, vibrant fuchsias.  They are just magnificent to absorb.  It reminds me very much of Tricia Guild's wonderful use of textiles. 



<><>
Miles Redd, House Beautiful

<><> <><>
Miles Redd

<><> <><>
Miles Redd, Elle Decor, Nov 2006, Photo by Simon Upton


4. Leather Covered Doors.  Miles creates exquisite beauty with leathered covered doors that are further accessorized with nail stud detail.  


<><> <><>
Miles Redd, House Beautiful

<><> <><> <><>
Miles Redd


Miles Redd has a wonderful sense of humor when using style and patterns.  He mixes chevron with floral, and blends hues of the same color wheel together.  The end result is to die for!  Now, you understand my design crush.





2 comments:

Vicky G said...

I have died and gone to heaven! I love Miles Redd and the techniques he uses. Thanks for sharing these super pictures.

C.A. @ How To Be A Heroine said...

I'm obsessed with him TOOOO! The third picture from the bottom (of the blue living room with white couches) is exactly what I would want if I had limitless budget. SO GORGEOUS!!! Thanks for putting all these pictures up! xoxo