Sunday, November 25, 2012

DIY Homemade Countdown Calendar

  I was inspired by the December 2012 issue of Better Home & Gardens where Maria Carr displayed a homemade countdown calendar in her home.  She used fallen birch branches from her yard as support then stamped numbers 1-24 onto muslin bags and tied them onto the branches.   I decided to do my own rendition of the countdown calendar...
(Maria's calendar here):

Vivid Hue Home iphone via bhg Dec 2012 issue

(Vivid Hue Home calendar here):



Here are the steps I used to create my calendar.  While Maria used wonderful birch branches from her fabulous farmhouse yard, I found this structure already built for my from my local Home Goods store for $10 bucks. 


 
I had originally stamped little envelopes from the craft store because I couldn't locate the muslin bags.  I wasn't happy with the end result---The envelopes were too large and didn't have enough oomph
 
 

So, I made these smaller cards from Target stationery....and yes, I put those stamps from Napa to use again. 


 
 
 
In full disclosure, these aren't little bags full of goodies...but I could put an inspirational message on the back of each day.   For now, it's home is in my sunroom
 
 
For a tour of the rest of the house, go here
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

As you know, I've kick started the holiday decorating early this year.  Here are some of the decorations that are already up.  And I've got more things in store to share with you later this week!    I also have a great guest post to share with you this week so be on the look out!  It's going to be an exciting week! 

xoxo Heather | Vivid Hue Home

PS-- shouldn't be too much longer and I'll have legit photos from the Napa November to share with you!


Maria Carr can be visited at her fabulously creative blog, Dreamy Whites

Other links to Vivid Hue Christmas:
Holiday Trees
Sunroom at Christmas
Meaningful tree in Living Room

Gift Wrapping Traditions
Christmas Antlers
Holiday Card Tree and Sunroom Photos
Christmas Table Decorations


3 comments:

StagerLinda said...

Great advent calendar! Your sunroom and all your house looks wonderful and holiday-ready. I'm jealous!

Unknown said...

Your decorations are beautiful! I can't believe youre already done! or well on your way. I just started with the outside lights. Have a great week. This calendar is darling, and I love YOUR touches of color- much more interesting!
xo Nancy
Powellbrowerhome.com

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

I think I like yours better than the original! :)