Tuesday, July 10, 2012

House Tour: Dining Room

My dining room is a work in progress.  I have the necessities such as my china cabinet and dining table but am still working on the additional details.  True to my decorating tastes, I wanted to mix unexpected colors and patterns to create a more non-traditional eating space. 
 
 
 
 

 
 
(After wallpaper--see more photos of wallpaper here)


 
Bar cart in the far corner:
 

 

 

The chairs are Arden Park from Lillian August for Hickory White.  I fell in love with the Highland Court Zoe pattern (In Currant 180936H 338).   This textile was the first thing selected for the dining room. 


My Lillian August decorator at the time was Holly Russo and she helped me find the Casamance Paris Texas fabric for the backs (361 40 40).  I love how the back seems simple and serene and then the fronts offer a pop of pattern.  The chairs are finished in a black leather contrast welt. 



The rug was custom by Lillian August.  The chairs are definitely over stated so the more subtle design in the rug helps to calm the room. 



The drapes are silk with hues of raspberry flowered embroidery.  They have a black velvet leading edge and a celery green silk finish. 



Right now, the walls in the room are Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter HC-172.  It was a good neutral base when we were building our house, but once the drapes were put up, the wall color did nothing to enhance them.  Introducing, this fabulous Moroccan Grass cloth print by Phillip Jeffries.  It's on order now and I can't wait to have it installed!  (Thanks to my current Lillian August decorator, Lynne Methot, for finding this match.  Love it and it exudes my style).   

 





I selected this Jonathan Adler Ventana Chandelier when we were building our house.  It's a perfect size for the room with the right amount of 'moderness.'   The hutch in the background is Crate and Barrel.  They don't usually feature such sleek dining room furniture.  It has a Danish modern feel to me. 



Once the wallpaper is installed, I may consider painting the tray ceiling.  To see more on how much I love a painted ceiling, see here

Before photos:

 



And here are more samples of potential wall coverings for the room.  They were all very nice but in the end, I felt like the Moroccan weave was the most 'my style' and would also still be bright in the room. 


Here's the view from the dining room into the foyer. 


In the future, future, I'd love to have a sliding door system like this built into the foyer.  Sometimes when we have dinner guests, our voices travel right up the stairs where the kiddos are sleeping.  I think it would also add character to the entrance.  If anyone can tell me where to find fabulous doors like that, let me know!



View of room with table set






I'll be sure to post updated photos of the dining room once the wall covering is installed and additional accessories are added.  If you'd like to see some of the other inspiration photos for my dining room, please feel free to check out my 'Dining' board on pinterest.  (This started as a repository for wallpapers that I wanted to consider for the room and has since grown into a space for all dining rooms that I love). 
 
 
Big update:  the wallpaper is up!  check it out here
It's been a pleasure to show you around this room.  If you'd like to visit the rest of my house, you're welcome here anytime. 

8 comments:

Jessie said...

I am surprised no one commented on your dining room yet because it's gorgeous!

I love your custom dining room chairs. The fabric and the details are so beautiful. I like how you set your table especially with the pretty ikat placemats.

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

Those chairs are stunning. My entire house is a work in progress.

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

@ Nicole Scott: thanks so much for the barn door suggestion, I'm going to check it out now! And I agree, I've got to find some kick a$$ art to spruce up this room. Gotta keep it daring, darling! Thanks for your comments and for stopping by!

@My Crafty Home Life: Thank you for stopping by! Isn't that the truth? When is a house really completely finished? Always a WIP! Love following the ORC's btw!

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

@ Jessie: Thanks for stopping by the dining room and the compliments on the table!

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Those chairs are perfect and I may just have to pet those curtains. Love everything about this room. That rug is amazeballs.

Barbara Matson said...

What a beautiful room. I LOVE those drapes especially. Its those small details like the edges that give it such a layered look!

Heather Moore Grahling | Vivid Hue Home said...

@Barbara, welcome to my blog! Thanks so much for stopping over!

@Elizabeth, thank you too!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out Heather! I love the paper you and Lynne picked out. It's going to look fabulous!