Friday, August 24, 2012

Happy "18th Birthday", Dad




{Here's me at age 4, congratulating my dad on one of his many promotions in the Army. (Thank Gawd for bloomers!)  My sister, Kurby, is in my lil' mama's tummy}. 


I'd like to wish my dad a Happy Eighteenth Birthday today*.  Huh?  How is it that I'm almost forty and my dad is only "eighteen?"  Let me explain. 

It was on August 25, 1994 that my dad received a successful liver donation from a sixteen year old teenager.  The teenager was killed in a car accident.  At such a sad, tragic time in their own lives, the parents made a selfless decision to donate their child's organ(s). We never met the family, they had requested to remain anonymous.  But from that day forward, my dad was literally given a new, healthy life.  And as a result, I have been granted an additional eighteen years with my own dad...and COUNTING!


Since 1994, I graduated from college.  I lived in NYC.  I got married.  I experienced my own career promotions.  I had a baby boy.  I had a baby girl.  I became a mother and a wife.  I opened a business with my husband.  I celebrated 18 Christmas's, 17 of which were with my dad (and lil' mama of course). 
Every year, my family celebrates two birthdays for my dad.  His actual birth day, and his transplant day.  (ya'll know my family is a sucker for celebrating birthdays!)

So, Happy "18th" Dad! 


Did you know:

One organ donor can save up to eight lives. The same donor can also save or improve the lives of up to 50 people by donating tissues and eyes.


In 2011, there were 8,127 deceased organ donors and 6,017 living organ donors resulting in 28,535 organ transplants. 

90% of Americans say they support donation, but only 30% know the essential steps to take to be a donor.

The success rate for organ transplants is between 80 and 90 percent.

There are so many myths around organ donation.  I would urge everyone to read here for more facts about it.  I would like to request that every person consider being a donor if you're not already.  Or at least be educated enough to know the myths from the facts about donation.  

Here's how you can register to be a donor.   


And, lastly, here's my dad today!  Yes, with my mama...the one that never reads this blog (proof here)!  (teasing)



* PS- I have posted this one day early because Vivid Hue usually doesn't post on Saturdays...it's a day off peeps! 

xoxo  Heather from Vivid Hue Home




Heya I'm on pinterest too. Check me out here.

13 comments:

Achados de Decoração said...

Hi Heather! Happy birthday to your Dad!!! God Bless him and your beautiful mom!! thanks for stopping by!
xoxo

Carmen
from Sao Paulo - Brazil

Lil' Momma said...

Heather, thanks do much for the beautiful tribute to Dad and for making others aware of the importance of organ donation. It has truly touched and enriched our family.
Love you and happy almost birthday to you.

Unknown said...

*love* - i'm an organ doner - so believe in the cause!

Kurby said...

Love this post. It has been a wonderful 18 years for sure and filled with so many great celebrations together. Here's to many, many more. And for those who are already organ donors - virtual high five from Kurby! Woot Woot!

Barbara Matson said...

Fabulous post! Congrats to your dad and to your whole family to have been given the gift of life!

Patty Day @Pattys Epiphanies said...

Thanks for this Post. It was one of the most meaningful one I have read! Are you sure your Mom isn't reading you Yet????

Karena said...

Oh Heather this is so wonderful and I am so happy for your Father and your family for all of the extra years you have experienced together!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
2012 Artists Series

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

isnt that a wonderful story - thank goodness for that 16 yo girl! and happy 18th to your dad!!!

Beth of designPOST Interiors said...

Happy 18th to your dad...I am as close with my Dad as I would like so this is so sweet to me!

Kelly said...

That is such a great thing to do.....celebrating both special days! I agree with you that organ donation is so important. I'm set up as an organ donor already. Gosh, your mom looks so young in that picture with your dad. She's beautiful!

StagerLinda said...

What an informative, heart-felt post. Congrats Dad on #18! Very informative about the value of being an organ donor.

Taylor Greenwalt said...

Great post and congrats to your Dad. Amazing!

LiveLaughDecorate said...

What an amazing tribute to your dad - who looks pretty darn amazing! Thanks for shining a light on such a great gift, and for forcing us to consider doing the same for someone else.