Monday, August 13, 2012

Staging Mania: The Playroom

Yesterday morning I woke up with a serious urge for organizing.  I have no idea what came over me, clearly, I was not feeling quite like myself.  But I embraced the moment and started pitching broken toys, donating 'too small' clothes and takin care of business.   In the midst of all of this cleaning, I was literally visualizing my next DIY projects.  It started with my daughter's room.  If you recall, we use it now mostly as a playroom (see here).   The chintzy Target dresser we bought on a budget has a busted bottom drawer so mostly remained opened so my four year old could access her wardrobe. 


Out with that badboy. 


I hauled in the also-Target dresser from my son's room.  It's white and has been in his room since he was a baby and it has never been intended for long term use in there (here's a glimpse of his room).  You'll notice I don't even really show that dresser in the photos for his room.  So I hauled it from one room to another (you can see my donate piles there too). 


The new dresser is a bit lower than the old dresser so I added a few more photos to the gallery wall.  Nothing a few black and white prints from NYC can't handle.  I also staged the dresser with a few books and accessory boxes.  I had to strategically place the books in front of a smudge on the wall (rather than cleaning the smudge, yes...lazy bones). 




This photo is my nephew Jude when he was a tiny dude.  He's "reading" his books.  Love this photo.


I purchased this fabric recently and want to add it as cornices to this room. 


Let you remind you that everything in this room is a temporary fix, until I redo it as a more mature room in the hopefully near future.  I've got it staged right now as a play room with a kitchen, an art center, a reading nook, and a lego station.


I made these little make-shift curtains at our last house.  I'm going to add the new fabric cornices right above this toile fabric.


Up close visual of a canvas print I made for the gallery wall.  I tried to mimic some of the prints we bought from Pottery Barn with birds.  I added vintage wallpaper, some ribbon and vintage buttons to mine.  And this toad reminds me of the books, "Frog and a Toad" that I used to read when I was growing up. 


OK.  Yes, this wall is a bit busy right now.  I moved the Anthro rug from the kitchen play area to the center of the room so it's more visible when you enter the room. 

Eventually I will paint this white dresser and make it more Dorothy Draper when I redo this bedroom. 

This is where I plan to take the room someday (thank you for the inspiration Katie Ridder, LOVE you)!  So all of this DIY stuff is to keep me feeling artsy until I get along to redoing this room.  Right now I'm focusing on our guest bedroom so this room will have to wait in line. 



visit more of my house tour here.  I played around with accessorizing a few of the other rooms in the house so you'll see those later this week! 






Don't forget to "like" Vivid Hue Home on facebook


Vivid Hue Home is also on Pinterest

6 comments:

Karena said...

Heather thank you so much for visiting me! I love your site as well. You definitely have a great eye for color and design!

xoxo
Karena
Art by Karena
2012 Artists Series featuring Harrison Howard

Raina Cox said...

Thanks so much for stopping by La Lamp Shade!

Can't wait to see what you do next!

cathywhatisoldisnew said...

It looks fantastic Heather-It gives the room spirit with the colors and fabric prints. Love the rug!

StagerLinda said...

It is an ideal play area. Gotta love frog & toad! The rug really anchors the space.

Linda {Calling it Home} said...

That fabric will look great as a cornice. There is nothing like a little girl's room. Can't wait to see how you turn that dresser into a Draper makeover.

Elizabeth @ The Little Black Door said...

Love your plans for the dresser. It'll look fab. And that fabric is going to look great!